Sunday, June 29, 2014

Satur-DIY Denim


I am sitting in my house with our broken air conditioning, trying to finish this post as quickly as I can before heading out somewhere cooler. I was set on uploading this on Saturday so I could try out a few Satur-DIY posts, but this week has been crazy so I wasn’t able to get around to it until Sunday. I know it’s a cheesy title, but I just had to use it! I have been wanting to try some DIY on this little blog because who doesn’t want to save a few dollars every once in awhile? The photos aren't as high of quality as I would like since I just used my phone, so try not to knock me on that too much! 

I have recently been eyeing these Topshop jeans, and while I am sure they are amazing quality, the price is a little steep for a college student who is slowly but surely racking up debt. I wanted to find a cheaper option, but I didn’t have much luck. Then it hit me—it is just holes in the knees. I can do this myself.
This really is a pretty easy DIY, but I thought I would post some photos so you can see what I did. The jeans I picked out were only $12.80 from Forever 21, and they are high waisted, making them even more similar to the Topshop pair.
I simply tried on the denim, made a little mark where I wanted them cut with tape, removed the jeans, and cut along the line. If it’s not straight and even, don’t worry—they are supposed to be distressed, not perfect! If you would like them a bit more worn, you could use a tweezers to pull at the areas of fabric along the top and bottom of the cut. I did this a bit, but if you would like to make it even more dramatic, you could continue to pull at it to create a bigger hole over your knee. I am thinking everyday wear and tear will make this a bit more of what I'm looking for as well.


I ended up using a scissors, but if you use a blade, you should place something in the pant leg to make sure you don't cut all the way through!



I hope this post gives you a bit of inspiration to try your own DIYs. Would you be interested in seeing me try some more complex DIYs? If so, I could look into some new ideas for you all. Also, would these make for good videos? If you have any ideas for me, I would love to hear them!

Maggie D. xx

13 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a pair of jeans with cut outs but this has definitely inspired me to just distress a pair of jeans that I already own.

    Allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! It's super easy to do, and if you already own the jeans then you don't even need to spend any money. I would love to hear how it goes!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  2. Love how you created your own distressed denim, I'm always afraid if I do that I would cut too much but you've inspired me to try!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! If you do it, I would love to see how it goes!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  3. Hey beauty,this is an amazing post!
    keep posting!
    xoxo Antonella

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out really well ! x

    http://lilemilyjane.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought they turned out nicely as well!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  5. I just brought my blog back from break and my first post is a tag that I tagged you in. It's the THIS or THAT tag. If you decide to do it be sure to let me know :)
    ~Evi<3

    http://evithefashionista.blogspot.ca/2014/07/back-with-bam.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to participate in your tag--I'll check it out!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  6. Love this idea! I love ripped jeans but they are ridiculously expensive. I may have to try it out!

    Rachael at rachaelisnotwowzie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would definitely give it a try--it's such an easy thing to do!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  7. Ohh this was a great diy! thank you for your lovely comment on my blog Maggie! I'm now following on GFC :) xx

    FeelBella

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I promise I will reply as soon as possible. xx

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme