Saturday, January 10, 2015

London Post: The British Museum and Camden

Might I say this has been the most exciting day in London so far. Yes, I’ve only been here four days. And yes, yesterday was amazing. (who wouldn’t want to go to the London College of Fashion?) But today was my day for the city. Yes, I finally got out of the little Bloomsbury bubble to explore and, unsurprisingly, fell in love with Camden.




Now, you might be thinking, “This is the only part of the city you’ve visited outside of where you’re staying. How do you know you love it?” Well, I never said it was my favorite, and maybe it will be, maybe it won’t be. But, the eclectic-y vibe, lively neon signs and style consisting of platforms galore—what’s not to love? The lovely British blogger Lily Melrose describes Camden as, “It’s not that hip anymore, These days its full of tourists and wheely suitcases, a ridiculous amount of Obey Hats and street food galore. All while desperately trying to cling on to some edge. Saying that - I do really like Camden.” She’s comparing Camden to Shorditch, and while I haven’t visited Shorditch, I still think Camden has a cool vibe.
Not sure this is actually in Camden, but it looked adorable.


But lets back track. Before Camden, we ate at Pret and met one of Aundrea’s cousin’s friends. It was a great meal, and then we walked to the British Museum. We saw the incredible Rosetta Stone and everything else in the ancient Egypt and Greek (?) sections. To be honest, we seemed to wander all over the ground level of the museum. She was kind enough to snap some photos of Aundrea and I, so that was nice too.





After we met with her, we walked back to our home for the semester and grabbed hats since the wind was a bit brisk. I also had to drop off part of my sandwich since I couldn’t finish it all—it made a lovely supper, too. Anyway, we decided to head to Camden instead of Soho. We’ll make that trip soon and Carnaby Street will (probably) be the best thing I’ve ever seen.

The walk was nice, and we stopped at a Mark and Spencer for a moment. Probably not relevant, but I do like checking out supermarkets here versus what we have at home. They’re all about the same, just in case you were wondering. It was a very easy walk to get to Camden—it was literally a straight shot. The first minor curve we had to take was right along where the Koko is located, and fancy that. One of my favorite bands, 5 Seconds of Summer, performed there last year, and it looked amazing. (Well, the videos did. Too bad I couldn’t have been there for the show myself) So, instead of taking photos while they were there, I took photos a year later. Close enough, I’d say. It appears to be a gorgeous venue, so I’d love to attend a show there.


We walked further and slipped in and out of shops here and there. We didn’t buy anything, but just wandered along the cobblestone seeing what made each place unique. And, in case you were wondering, the official scent of London is cigarette smoke. It’s engulfing, but I love it. Maybe my love for the city is taking over, but I don’t mind.

Oh, and above is my Outfit of the Day pictures. It was very simple. My black skinnies are clearly my go-to, and you can't see under my jacket (sadly), but I went with trainers today because my feet. were. killing. me. So much walking means my feet needed a rest, so a trainers day it was.




I won’t go into too much detail about what we saw, smelled and heard, but I included a little vlog below so you can see what I did. After stopping at Costa for a hot chocolate (the best hot chocolate I’ve ever had btw), we did some more walking around before heading back. It was unique and fun and I loved it. All I can say.


This is just the beginning. Four days out of four months. That is all. So much more to come, so I hope you’re as ready as I am. Until next time,

Maggie D. xx

P.S. If you would like to follow another blog who will basically be saying the same thing as mine except differently, then check out my roommate Aundrea's blog. Yes, her name is linked. But no, my blue links aren't working. Dang technology.

10 comments:

  1. Wow it looks like you've already seen so much and you just got there. The streets look so beautiful, I love the little lights and details.
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have, and it's been incredible! I love everything about this city so far, and I can't wait to share more of it with you!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  2. love this post, I love London...this post makes me want to visit the city again even more <3

    http://amelodyofdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it too. It's such an amazing place; I feel I can't solely write about it and give it justice!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  3. Nothing beats being a student in London <3 There is always something new to explore which is super exciting :)

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I am so glad I took the chance to do something brand new, and I haven't regretted a thing.

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  4. Camden sure has lovely lights, I'll say that. Also, I was in New York recently and felt the same way about the cigarette smoke there. Annoying to my lungs, but somehow it added to the vibe of the city.

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There's something about it that just feels like the city, and I guess maybe that's why I don't mind it as much!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete
  5. What a lovely little blog post !!

    Had a great read !!

    Love your blog <3

    Check out my new post if you like http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/ would love to see you over there !!

    Jade

    Have a great day

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'd love to check your blog out!

      Maggie D. xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. I promise I will reply as soon as possible. xx

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme